Frame Construction

 As usual it's been a while since I have posted here. I will endeavour to do one update post each month moving forward. I had some time over the Christmas break & recently to work on my frames. As I am building from plans & haven't as yet bought my plywood, I did the frames a bit differently than those building from the kit. To hold the shape of the frames I needed to do some joinery to hold them together without the plywood gussets or bulkheads to fix them to. I think it turned out pretty nicely. So far I have done frames E, D, D1, C, B & A. Still to do the transom frame ( P )  & the angled cockpit companionway frame/bukhead. I will loft them out & make them in the next week. The next thing for me to do is to order my plywood. I am intending to use Australian Made Hoop Pine Marine Plywood made by Austral Plywood in Queensland. It is very high quality & has all of the certifications required to build to Class for racing. Next month I will finish scarfing my stringers & chine battens together & start making galley, nav station & electrical cabinet units as they can be made & fitted to the boat later down the track. So here are some pics of what I have been doing. 



I lofted my frames onto melamine board & scribed them into the surface. If I ever had to build another Globe 5.80, I will already have the lofting's to work from.
------------------------------------------


         



Lifting curved lines from the lofting's is easy using flat head nails to mark the shape
--------------------------------------------




Some frame joinery 
------------------------------------------

                


Strengthening frame D
-----------------------------------------------






Frames E, D, D1, C & A
------------------------------------------
 


Santa Clause was good to me this year..  :) 
--------------------------------------

-------------------------------------





 

Comments