Its been a while !

 Well it has been ages since I have made any progress on my boat. Work has been too busy to even think about it too much. Thankfully a job I was supposed to start has been put back to early December. Happy days .. :) 

So I've been able to to get back into making components for the boat. I have finally fibreglassed the skeg & made a pattern for my lead bulbs for the keel. Also did some more work on the rudder.



                      

I started the lead bulb by lofting the shape onto some MDF then cut it out so as to mark it onto a base panel for the pattern 
--------------------------------------------------


I made the plug out of materials I have had lying around for years. The base is a bit of foam / fibreglass panel & the shapes are 50 mm divinvcell foam. Quite firm , but easy to shape. 
-------------------------------------------------
              
    


Foam faired & ready for resin coat 
--------------------------------------------------


Resin coated. Tomorrow I will sand and give a few coats of high build primer for the final fairing & finishing before sending it to Central Foundry here in Sydney for casting. Luckily, I have enough lead stashed away for the job.  :) 
--------------------------------------------------


I gave the plug at least 10 coats of mold release wax over two days so hopefully the finished job pops off the plug quite easily. The skeg has at present 5 laminations of 450 gsm double bias cloth & epoxy resin. Im going to give it 2 more laminations tomorrow. Should be strong enough.
--------------------------------------------------

So in the next couple of weeks I intend to finish fibreglassing my rudder & get some high build prime on it. Start making some of the frames & scarf more stringers to length.  I also have some nice Spotted Gum (Australian hardwood) which I will make the keel beams from. I need to get as much done as I can before I have to go back to making money. 











Comments