Making Some Parts

 At the moment work is extremely busy & the workshop is full so I've decided to just start making parts so that when I am ready to get the frames set up on the jig, I should have most of the bits & pieces ready to go. Started out scarfing my stringers together & making my rudder. 

I will get all of the other chine battens, frame timbers, etc scarfed & machined to size next. Frames will come after that.  

I have set myself a time line of having my boat ready for launch by the end of next year (2022). Sounds like a long time off, but I think it's realistic for me. So if there is to be a transatlantic in 2023 I may  be able to make that. If not, its the Mini Globe Race in 2024..  :)




Jig for cutting scarfs straight off the bench saw. I will modify it for the next lot I have to scarf together
---------- 


Scarfs cut, glued & clamped
----------


Glued on the bench & nice & straight
----------


Machined to size & ready to go
---------- 


Rudder template 
----------


The rudder is made from 3 laminations of 12mm Okume marine plywood.  I recessed the inner surface of the two outside laminations to insert a little extra stiffening for the rudder. The fibreglass sheathing will bring the thickness of the rudder up to 40mm as per the drawings.
----------


Some unidirectional carbon fibre stiffening in the recess
----------


I vacuum bagged the whole lot together. Set up the bench nice & straight so in theory the rudder will be perfectly straight once cured
----------


 Vacuum pulled down & checked for leaks, all good 
----------


Materials for glueing rudder 
----------




 

  









Comments